We all know that storms can damage roofs in more ways than one. So, inspecting your roof immediately after a storm is a must. It pays to know the common damages to get a better idea of what to look for and what you need to do to address them.
What to Look for After a Storm
- Roof damage caused by falling trees. Storms sometimes come with winds that are strong enough to knock down trees. Therefore, if you have some trees planted in your yard, it is reasonable to expect some roof damage caused by falling trees or branches. Knocked-down trees are hard to miss; thus, it is easy to spot the damage they cause. But the damage can be considerable, especially if you have tall, grown trees with heavy branches.
- Missing or creased shingles. Strong winds can cause creasing to your roof shingles. Or worse, it may blow some pieces of shingles off. When you notice missing or creasing shingles, it is best not to delay the repairs. Contact your roofing contractor for a fix right away.
- Hail damage. Unlike wind damage, hail damage to roofs may be harder to spot unless you have a trained eye for detecting roof damage. We recommend calling your roof contractor for an inspection after a hailstorm because hail damage can significantly reduce the lifespan of your roof by causing leaks that may cause the roof material to rot.
- Damage caused by lightning strikes. It is not as common as the rest of the list, but there is still always a possibility of lightning strikes damaging your roof.
- Water damage. Storms can also cause water damage to your roof depending on how your roofing system is set and how heavy the downpour is. Water damage can manifest as a leaking ceiling, dampness in your attic, or water seeping and causing molds to grow. Whatever the case, water can cause structural damage to your home, so it is best to address them as soon as possible.
Knowing these common types of roof damage is one thing, but having an expert conduct a diagnosis is always preferable. Check out www.jblrc.com for more information on how to spot roof damage or make your life easier by having the experts at JBL Roofing and Construction do the roofing inspection and repairs for you.
Want to learn more? Contact Us Now!